Being Christ's Servants in Highland Square for Sixty Years
Welcome to First Grace United Church of Christ!
We are a church of passion and action. We are a church connected to God’s grace, connected to dynamic faith, and connected to engaging community works. We often say around here that if it is something Jesus would do we’re not even going to vote on it or waste a lot of words over it, but instead focus on Jesus’ words and actions to make our community whole.
At first glance, First Grace can seem confusing. Are they a church? A community center? We are all that and more! At First Grace we will feed the hungry… we will serve our neighbors… we will be open and affirming of LGBT persons… we will be inclusive to the diversity of the community… we will help children and teens learn… we will provide meeting spaces for persons in recovery… we will help families in their daily caring for children… and we will worship God with leadership that is both faith-filled and faithful.
If nothing else we invite you to just come and experience First Grace in any capacity! Come because someting inspires or interests you, come because you feel called to God's grace and witness. One of the most important functions of being a faithful member of First Grace is being a spokesperson for our Still Speaking God, being an agent for what God is creating even today, and being a witness to the extravagant welcome we have to offer to you and this community.
Team Meetings -- Thursday, May 16
Planning Ministries for the Summer!
Come for Christ, stay for the worship, extravagent welcome, and fellowship! 10:45am Sunday mornings, come at 9:30 am for free breakfast in our Fellowship Hall. CLICK HERE for details.
A Sermon on Weddings
Ah yes, the wedding at Cana. It's referred to in nearly every wedding liturgy suggesting that Jesus approved of marriage and weddings simply by his presence and perhaps neglectfully suggesting that his presence also meant that he gave his blessing to this event.
And, there are those who take it one more step using this scene as proof perfect that Jesus not only accepted but endorsed the notion of marriage being restricted to a man and a woman.
To continue reading with pictures. Click here
WHAT OUR MEMBERS LOVE ABOUT FIRST GRACE....
- It is a family of my choosing
- Great Sermons
- It is a positive, open, loving place to bring my family to learn about God
- The wisdom, the security, the common ground
- The openness, spirit and invitation of Pastor Bob
- A willingness to confront and really live Jesus' gospel
- Unrestricted Communion Table
- Enjoy being a part of a church that is mission driven
- Casual and comfortable
- I love the Lord and it helps me prepare to get through the new week ahead
- Real ministry
- My partner and I wanted a place where we would be accepted. We also have a young child. We are a gay family.
- Social causes
- Loving and caring people
- This church loves everyone, just like Jesus said to
- Diversity and openness of the congregation.
- Gives me a chance to be spiritual and not be discriminated against
- The reviving of my soul every Sunday
- I believe in the way they honor everyone who enters here
- History, challenges in thinking
- When it comes to the idea of "do something," First Grace does
- Urban ministry
- How much they try to help the less fortunate
- Open minded Pastor
- The church is real and it doesn't judge anyone and makes everyone feel at home
- Solidarity with the poor
- We are concerned with doing the right thing, not appearances
- No pressure to look a certain way or conform to superficial stereotypes
- It is truly without hypocrisy and fanfare, open and affirming
- Stays politically engaged, engaged with community, modern interpretation of text
- It's cooler and more fun!
LOOKING TO GET IN SHAPE, MOVE A BIT, OR JUST RELAX?
It's all at First Grace UCC and it's FREE!!!
Free Akron Yoga
TUESDAYS, 7:00 -8:30 pm
Join your neighbors -- bring your friends
AMOS After School
Join us for AMOS After School for K-5th graders every day (including full days for off-school days)! CLICK HERE for prices and futher details! AMOS brings education, fun, and friendships to your child every day possible! Contact us to see if you qualify for Summit County Title XX assistace.
First Grace on Facebook
CLICK HERE to check out First Grace's Fan Page on Facebook, updated daily with news you need to know, quotes, scripiture, weekly devotionals and more!
The Market Path
Did you know First Grace owns a Fair Trade store in W. Akron? CLICK HERE to visit The Market Path and learn more about Fair Trade, handmade world items, and how you can be involved!
Big News! The Market Path will be opening a second store in downtown Kent. We are humbled that we were invited to provide the same Fair Trade Ministry in Kent as we have been offering in Highland Square for more than five years.
Come to Kent and see what new things are happening there!
CLICK HERE to read about whats going on at First Grace.